Re: Tuple storage overhead

От Szymon Guz
Тема Re: Tuple storage overhead
Дата
Список pgsql-general

2010/4/16 Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@xs4all.nl>
On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:59:38AM +0200, Szymon Guz wrote:
> File pages are not fully filled from the start as that could result in bad
> performance of queries later.

The manual page you linked to says something else:
"The fillfactor for a table is a percentage between 10 and 100.
 100 (complete packing) is the default."

However, the index has a default fill factor of 90, so I guess
I can tweak that to 100 to shave off another few percent.
(there will be no updates nor extra inserts on these tables)

Thanks for the tip!  I hope there are more ways to tweak it, though
because this doesn't save that much.

I thought that the default fillfactor was much smaller (and haven't checked that now)...  sorry for messing that up.
But let's think of it from the other side: what do you want to do with that data? Maybe PostgreSQL with it's MVCC's overhead isn't the best solution for your needs.

regards
Szymon Guz