Re: stats collector suddenly causing lots of IO

От Josh Kupershmidt
Тема Re: stats collector suddenly causing lots of IO
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> writes:
>> Hrm, well autovacuum is at least trying to do work: it's currently
>> stuck on those bloated pg_catalog tables, of course. Another developer
>> killed an autovacuum of pg_attribute (or maybe it was pg_attrdef)
>> after it had been running for two weeks. See current pg_stat_activity
>> output attached, which shows the three autovacuum workers running plus
>> two manual VACUUM ANALYZEs I started yesterday.
>
> Two weeks?  What have you got the autovacuum cost delays set to?

SELECT name, current_setting(name), source FROM pg_settings WHERE
source != 'default' AND name ILIKE '%vacuum%';
         name         | current_setting |       source
----------------------+-----------------+--------------------
 vacuum_cost_delay    | 200ms           | configuration file
 vacuum_cost_limit    | 100             | configuration file
 vacuum_cost_page_hit | 6               | configuration file
(3 rows)

I'm guessing these values and the default autovacuum configuration
values need to be cranked significantly to make vacuum much more
aggressive :-(

> Once you're up to three AV workers, no new ones can get launched until
> one of those finishes or is killed.  So that would explain failure to
> prune the stats collector's tables (the tabpurge code is only run during
> AV worker launch).  So what we need to figure out is why it's taking so
> obscenely long to vacuum these tables ...

Hopefully changing those three vacuum_cost_* params will speed up the
manual- and auto-vacuums.. it'll take me a few days to see any
results, since I still need to do something about the bloat that's
already there.

Josh

Сообщение: Re: stats collector suddenly causing lots of IO
Сообщение: Re: stats collector suddenly causing lots of IO