Re: Passing connection string to pg_basebackup

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: Passing connection string to pg_basebackup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> FWIW, +1. I would consider it a bugfix (backpatch, etc).
>
> While it's a feature I'd very much like to see, I really don't think
> you can consider it a bugfix. It's functionality that was left out -
> it's not like we tried to implement it and it didn't work. We pushed
> the whole implementation to "next version" (and then forgot about
> actually putting it in the next version, until now)

Thanks for reminding me about that, I completely forgot about all that.

On the other hand, discrepancies in between command line arguments
processing in our tools are already not helping our users (even if
pg_dump -d seems to have been fixed along the years); so much so that
I'm having a hard time finding any upside into having a different set of
command line argument capabilities for the same tool depending on the
major version.

We are not talking about a new feature per se, but exposing a feature
that about every other command line tool we ship have. So I think I'm
standing on my position that it should get backpatched as a "fix".

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine