Re: Indicators

От Atif Jung
Тема Re: Indicators
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Unfortunately Perl is not an option. So given:

EXEC SQL SELECT b INTO :val :val_ind FROM test1;

If I where to reference :val immediately after and if b was NULL what would :val contain, assuming that b is an integer, for example, and that val was not initialised to anything when declared?

Atif

On 27 April 2010 12:52, Francisco Leovey <fleovey@yahoo.com> wrote:
Yes if done from C - use Perl instead, much better

--- On Tue, 4/27/10, Atif Jung <atifjung@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Atif Jung <atifjung@gmail.com>
Subject: [NOVICE] Indicators
To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Date: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 8:05 AM

Am I correct in understanding that when doing a select on a table I cannot retrieve a NULL value from the database directly into the variable I'm selecting into, but I must use an indicator. So for example

EXEC SQL SELECT b INTO :val FROM test1;

will fail if b is NULL, so I must use

EXEC SQL SELECT b INTO :val :val_ind FROM test1;

and then check the value of val_ind. If 0 then val is not NULL is -ve then it is NULL?

Thanks

Atif