Re: PL/pgSQL examples NOT involving functions

От Roland Roberts
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL examples NOT involving functions
Дата
Re: PL/pgSQL examples NOT involving functions  ("Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Список pgsql-sql

   Josh> Please do not cross-post to multiple lists.

Hmm, there were some complaints recently on the hackers list about
things being posted on only one list.  And a significant chunk of the
mail I am getting from lists shows it was posted to more than one
list.
   >> How can I write a few lines of PL/pgSQL which do not involve   >> creating a function?  I can find no examples of
thisin the   >> docs, but say I would like to do something like

   Josh> You can't.  PL/pgSQL, like PL/Perl and PL/Tcl, may only be   Josh> used in functions.

So how would I convert an insert to an update when I detect a tuple is
already present in the database?  Do I have to write the whole thing
in Perl/Tcl/whatever and do the conversion there?

roland
--            PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland@rlenter.com                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B
roland@astrofoto.org                       Forest Hills, NY 11375