Re: SQL command to edit postgresql.conf, with comments

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: SQL command to edit postgresql.conf, with comments
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> I agree with Josh's proposal: keep mechanically-generated settings in a
> separate file, and don't even pretend to allow comments to be kept there.

And then, when you SET PERMANENT knob TO value (or whatever the syntax
is), you never know what value is selected at next startup or SIGHUP.

I know I'm alone on this, but I much prefer the all-machine-friendly
proposal that still makes it possible to hand-edit the files. You get
remote editing, comments, and the code is *very easy* to write.

The only drawback is that we're not used to it so it might look odd, or
outright ugly. I mean, the directory containing the files that you're
not supposed to edit manually at all any more looks strange. How big a
problem is that, when it allows for implementing the feature easily?

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine