Re: record identical operator

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: record identical operator
Дата
Re: record identical operator  (Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> writes:
> You are arguing that we should provide lesser support for numeric
> columns (and who knows how many other types) in materialized views
> than we do in streaming replication, pg_dump,
> suppress_redundant_updates_trigger(), and other places?  Why?

Because you're saying that you need SQL semantics, and probably because
I'm not understanding well enough the problem you're trying to solve.

> We have, as a community, gone to a fair amount of trouble  to make
> the concept of equality pluggable and allow multiple types of
> equality per type.  To me it seems the perfect tool to solve this
> problem.  Why the fuss?

Because I don't understand why you need another equality than the
default btree one, certainly. The other opclass, to my knowledge, are
only used in relation with index searches, that is when comparing heap
or input values with indexed values, right?

> No, matviews cannot be fixed without the new operators.  Here are
> the stats on the patch:

Ok, then someone (preferably a commiter) need to understand the problem
at hand in a better way than I do now, I guess. If possible I will read
through your patch, I'm curious now.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine