Re: Add .gitignore files to CVS?

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: Add .gitignore files to CVS?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Another occasion to show ignorance, I couldn't resist!

Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>  What you're
> talking about would require a great deal more maintenance effort, and
> I don't see the point compared to using a VPATH build.

I've discovered VPATH builds pretty recently, in the context of
packaging extensions. The concept is simple but it could be helpful if
spelled in simple terms: VPATH is about finding the sources.

So you build wherever you want without messing your checkout. But you
build from the target directory, telling in VPATH where the sources are.

HTH, regards,
--
dim