Re: PL/java?

От Gunnar Rønning
Тема Re: PL/java?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
* merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

| If you'd just stop saying things that can't be backed up, I wouldn't
| have to keep responding.

;-)

| Where is your proof that mod_perl is "slower than most any j2ee
| application"?

I don't like to generalize either. I've been on two projects where we
have replaced Perl applications with Java applications. The first one
was a content management system and the second was an online dating
application(like match.com).

In both cases we ended up with Java applications that performed
better than the Perl applications.

The reasons ?

- Maybe it was because our Java developers were
  better than our Perl developers.

- Maybe we had learned something the second time implementing the
  application. Better architecture, system design, etc.

- Maybe Java was better suited for the actual applications.

In the end there is however no proof to claim that Java applications
are faster than mod_perl applications.

But having Java in the PgSQL backend would be nice for some, regardless
of how well Java compares to Perl.

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/