Re: Tablespaces across same raid...

От Douglas McNaught
Тема Re: Tablespaces across same raid...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Himanshu Baweja <himanshubaweja@yahoo.com> writes:

> i just have one raid controller with 6 disks
> attached... i see all of it as single drive with three
> partitions create by me...
>
> will creating tablespaces help me.... also is there a
> way i can say this table to this disk???

In a RAID, all data goes across all disks, so in your case the answer
is no.  I doublt tablespaces would help, because again all data goes
across all disks.

What you might consider, if you can break up the RAID, is to use two
disks for a mirrored pair (RAID-1).  Put the WAL logs (the pg_xlog
directory) on that volume.  Then make a RAID-5 with the other four
disks for the rest of the database.  The pg_xlog directory is
constantly written to so having it on independent disks is very
helpful with performance.

-Doug