Re: updated emacs configuration

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: updated emacs configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> I think the suggested emacs configuration snippets in
> src/tools/editors/emacs.samples no longer represent current best
> practices.  I have come up with some newer things that I'd like to
> propose for review.

Thanks for doing that!

> First, I propose adding a .dir-locals.el file to the top-level directory
> with basic emacs settings.  These get applied automatically.  This
> especially covers the particular tab and indentation settings that
> PostgreSQL uses.  With this, casual developers will not need to modify
> any of their emacs settings.

I've tested that on a new git clone and with the `emacs -q` command so
as not to load any of my local setup. While the indentation seemed ok,
the placement of the comments seems way off:

Compare what you see using those commands:

    emacs -q src/backend/commands/extension.c
    emacs -q -l ../emacs.samples src/backend/commands/extension.c

(When using macosx, you might have to replace the 'emacs' binary
 location with /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs).

I did also test on doc/src/sgml/extend.sgml and some Makefile, only with
using the emacs.samples file content though.

> With that, emacs.samples can be shrunk significantly.  The only real
> reason to keep is that that c-offsets-alist and (more dubiously)
> sgml-basic-offset cannot be set from .dir-locals.el because they are not
> "safe".  I have also removed many of the redundant examples and settled
> on a hook-based solution.

A couple of notes about your emacs.sample file:

  - Name the lambda used in the hook for easier removing / reference

  - A fresh git clone will create a directory named postgres, so I did
    change your /postgresql/ regex to /postgres/ in my attached version

> I think together this setup would be significantly simpler and more
> practical.

Agreed.
--
Dimitri Fontaine