Re: The missing pg_get_*def functions

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: The missing pg_get_*def functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2013-04-30 05:14:15 +0100, Joel Jacobson wrote:
>> It would be better to find a way to update sql-language functions in
>> minor upgrades, instead of shutting that door entirely for all future
>> implementation ideas involving sql-language functions in the
>> pg_catalog.
>
> I'd be very careful with jumping on this task. I am pretty sure its a
> very good way to get very, very frustrated if you don't present a widely
> accepted design beforehand. Doing this correctly is *far far* from easy.
>
> Just a little collection of problems:
> * You need to connect to all databases, not just one. There's no
>   infrastructure for this.

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to have a per database catalog
version and do the work either at first database connection or first use
of the modified function, with some more smarts (catversion changed, and
a list of tableoid, oid changes in the catalogs somewhere).

But basically, that means that I agree that doing this correctly is very
far from being easy. And maybe improving the extension feature list is
an easier way forward.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine