Re: Usability tweaks for extension commands

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: Usability tweaks for extension commands
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> ERROR:  version to install or update to must be different from old version
>
> On reflection it seems like this is overly paranoid, and it'd be more
> useful if the ALTER just reported a NOTICE along the lines of "version
> so-and-so is already installed".  Any objections?

I see that's too late, but FWIW, +1 :)

> Another thought is that it'd probably be useful for there to be a
> "CREATE OR REPLACE EXTENSION" syntax, with the behavior of "install the
> extension if it's not present, else make sure it's of the specified or
> default version"; this behavior parallels CREATE OR REPLACE LANGUAGE
> which is something we've been refining for awhile.  I am not however
> entirely sure what to do with the SCHEMA option if the extension already
> exists --- we might be able to do SET SCHEMA, but perhaps that's too
> aggressive.
>
> Thoughts?

By all means, let's learn from our history.  +1.

I would expect CORE to be able to change things in the database, so I
would vote for doing the SET SCHEMA here if needed.  But if we do that,
then certainly we should also automatically handle upgrades too when
possible, right?  That would be very useful, so still +1.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine