Re: [HACKERS] Tupple statistics function

От merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Tupple statistics function
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Thurstan> In general EXPLAIN could be expanded to be a command to
Thurstan> return an explanation and stats of many items.  There could
Thurstan> also be EXPLAIN that only shows fields and EXPLAIN VERBOSE
Thurstan> that also shows more detail such as stats (as that tends to
Thurstan> take more time to collect).

It would also be interesting to take everything that psql does and put
each of them into a view so that it could be queried directly.
There's no reason that the magic should reside in client-side code.
It'd also make psql much simpler. :) I mean, why is "\d" anything
other than "select * from pg_table_view;", with all the logic to
compute that table in the view code?

Unless having a view on the server is expensive.  Is a server view
expensive if nobody calls it?  I mean, it's not maintained like an
index, is it?