Re: [SQL] Oracle sql queries

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [SQL] Oracle sql queries
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
> Will any legal Oracle sql syntax work in postgresql?  I'm worried about
> whether tcl scripts that make sql calls to an Oracle db can be used in a
> postgresql without problems.  I guess that brings up two issues:
>
> 1- Is the version of sql that Oracle uses legal in postgres?

Pardon, but...

    is  the  Oracle  SQL  dialect  legal at all? They claim to be
    compliant (to whatever), but after reading the SQL3  specs  I
    think  these Oracle folks have the same (wrong) understanding
    of the words LEGAL and STANDARD as the M$ folks have.  Is  it
    allways  that  people,  who  think  they are a market leader,
    think they can make STANDARD whatever their programmers  hack
    into?

    Legal  is  what the standard defines. The standards are SQL92
    and SQL3.  And AFAIK, Oracle is close to them, but  NOT  100%
    compliant.

    Also,  SQL92  and  SQL3 specs contain many details, where the
    words "implementation defined" appear. So there  is  no  real
    standard at all.

    To answer ur question: No, not ANY Oracle syntax will execute
    the same in PostgreSQL. Especially  things  like  DB  schema,
    stored  procedures, functions and triggers will cause porting
    efford. PostgreSQL is somewhat SQL92 compliant, a little  bit
    SQL3  compliant,  and  somewhere proprietary (as all SQL DB's
    are today). But it's definitely NOT a plug'n'play replacement
    for any commercial database.

    Decide  on  ur  own,  if you wanna spend the next license fee
    into some porting efford and give it a try. If you fail, it's
    a  limited  risk,  if  you  succeed, run free of charge until
    infinity.

Jan