Re: [HACKERS] LONG

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] LONG
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I disagree.  By moving to another table, we don't have non-standard
> tuples in the main table.  We can create normal tuples in the long*
> table, of identical format, and access them just like normal tuples.
> Having special long tuples in the main table that don't follow the
> format of the other tuples it a certain mess.  The long* tables also
> move the long data out of the main table so it is not accessed in
> sequential scans.  Why keep them in the main table?

    More  ugly  and  complicated (especially for VACUUM) seems to
    me, the we need an index on these  nonstandard  tuples,  that
    doesn't  see  the  standard  ones,  while the regular indices
    ignore the new long tuples. At least  if  we  want  to  delay
    reading of long values until they're explicitly requested.

Jan