Re: [HACKERS] plperl intial pass

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] plperl intial pass
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dmitry Samersoff wrote:

> On 24-Jul-99 Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> > Great,
> >
> > just compiled and install but need to look at some examples :-)
> > btw, here is a patch for createlang command to enable plperl
> > I'm not sure about trusted field.
>
> Does plperl use Perl interpreter or it's completly different language
> with similar syntax?
>
> Do you have some speed/memory statistic or plpgsql/plperl comparison ?

    It uses a real Perl precompiler/interpreter inside.

    I  think  it's  far  too early for such comparisions. As Mark
    wrote, PL/Perl's SPI interface  (for  accessing  tables  from
    inside a function) is still to come, and if I remember right,
    triggers are another delayed feature up to now.

    When it's done, I would expect that PL/Perl could  outperform
    PL/pgSQL  in  many  cases.  I  haven't done speed comparision
    between PL/pgSQL  and  PL/Tcl  yet,  but  I  know  all  their
    internals.  The reason for my assumtion is that PL/pgSQL uses
    the PostgreSQL executor for all computations.  That's IMHO  a
    pro,  because it assures that any defined datatype, function,
    operator and aggregate is automagically available in PL/pgSQL
    and  all  computations  return  exactly the same result as if
    they're done inside an SQL statement. But nothing on earth is
    for free, not even the death - you pay for it with your life.

Jan