Re: [HACKERS] Updated TODO list

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Updated TODO list
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I disagree.  Over the wire seems more important than protecting the
> passwords from the eyes of the database administrator, which in _most_
> cases is the system owner anyway.

No,

    both  are  equally important. There is a good reason why even
    root cannot see cleartext unix passwords. And there's a  good
    reason  for doing something different over the net (why do we
    use ssh when accessing hub.org?).

    Well, the sysadmin could run some  password  cracker  against
    shadow  files.   But  if I ever notice that Marc uses a brute
    force method to crack my ones, I'll take a trip and break his
    neck (after breaking every single finger, one by one, hour by
    hour - you'll hear him over there).

    Hosts I consider trusted ones are hosts where I trust the  OS
    and  the admin.  It's O.K. if an admin takes a look into some
    files.  And if he then finds some of my private xxx pics,  so
    be  it  -  as long as he doesn't pin them onto the blackboard
    under "Jan's private pics".  But it's not O.K.  if that  look
    means  he'll  see  cleartext passwords without having to take
    extra cracking steps.

    To store really crypted passwords in the  database,  I  think
    it's  required to send cleartext over the wire. So we have to
    protect that at least until  the  authentication  is  done  -
    optionally until disconnect.

    I  haven't  found  much documentation yet how to use OpenSSL,
    and I even don't know if it really is what we  need.  But  it
    has  an  Apache like license (free for private and commercial
    use).

    If it is what I think so far, it should be possible to enable
    ssl  during  configure  and  then  tell  in  the  hba.conf if
    password auth has to be ssl protected. Then we  could  easily
    send  cleartext  passwords  over  a  protected channel. Thus,
    local traffic could  be  high  speed  while  net  traffic  is
    securely  crypted.  But the admin decides what "local" means,
    so traffic on the backbone net (web-server->db-server)  might
    be considered secure.

Jan