Re: [HACKERS] Arbitrary tuple size

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Arbitrary tuple size
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Arbitrary tuple size  (Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp>)
Re: [HACKERS] Arbitrary tuple size  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> I agree this is the way to go.  There is nothing I can think of that is
> >> limited to how large a tuple can be.
>
> >     Outch - I can.
>
> >     Having  an  index  on a varlen field that now doesn't fit any
> >     more into an index block. Wouldn't this cause problems?
>
> Aren't index tuples still tuples?  Can't they be split just like
> regular tuples?

    Don't know, maybe.

    While  looking  for  some  places  where  tuple data might be
    accessed directly inside of the  buffers  I've  searched  for
    WriteBuffer() and friends. These are mostly used in the index
    access methods and some other places where I  expected  them,
    so  index  AM's  have  at  least to be carefully visited when
    implementing tuple split.

Jan