Re: [HACKERS] A small problem with the new inet and cidr types

От darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] A small problem with the new inet and cidr types
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thus spake Hannu Krosing
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > There may be cases where a function of a null is not null as some people
> > have pointed out but so far no one has come up with a practical example.
>
> isnull(field)
>
> is_any_null(field1,field2,field3)
>
> are_all_nulls(field1,field2,field3)
>
> value_or_default(NULL,defaultvalue)

I meant in the specific type functions.  These functions seem like they
can easily be handled at a higher level and still never call the type
function code.  IOW, if these functions are considered useful, they
should be implemented at the function dispatch level.

That last one seems particularly useful to me and, in fact, could handle
the issue of requiring functions to handle nulls all by itself.