Re: [HACKERS] A small problem with the new inet and cidr types

От darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] A small problem with the new inet and cidr types
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] A small problem with the new inet and cidr types
Список pgsql-hackers
Thus spake Tom Lane
> My guess is that maybe this should not be fixed in the individual
> datatypes at all; instead the generic function and operator code should
> be modified so that if any input value is NULL, then NULL is returned as
> the result without ever calling the datatype-specific code.

Could it be tied to the return type?  IOW, functions or operators
that return bool return FALSE, text return "", etc.

> There might be specific operators for which this is not the right
> behavior (although none spring to mind immediately).  In that case,
> I think the best bet would be to have a per-operator flag, defaulting
> to OFF, which could be turned on for those specific operators that are
> prepared to cope with null inputs.

Obviously that will have to wait for 6.5 since it requires an initdb
to add the field.  Do we want to wait that long?

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] A small problem with the new inet and cidr types
Сообщение: RE: [HACKERS] A small problem with the new inet and cidr types