Re: [HACKERS] Re: inet/cidr/bind

От darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: inet/cidr/bind
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thus spake Paul A Vixie
> Since other people want to use this type differently, I propose that we make
> it into two types: INET for host addresses and CIDR for network addresses.
> Both can include /## to set a netmask if folks really don't like making the
> address and netmask into two adjacent columns.  But CIDR has to disallow
> nonzero host-parts or it doesn't mean what I need it to mean.

I am cool with this.  In fact I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that
this requirement (it was a theoretical possibility to me at the time) was
the one reason why two different types might be required.  OK so that
means that, as I suggested, we need two underlying function sets, the
inet_net_* ones and the inet_cidr_* ones (might be some efficiency
possible if they are in the same source file and use some common
routines) and the original inet.c file gets changed to cidr.c and
turned into the cidr type.  I'll take the existing inet.c as it exists
on my system and submit it as the _new_ inet type.

Of course we can both use the same structure to store the data.  I suggest
we leave the name as inet since cidr seems to be a special case of inet.
Do you agree?

> Ok.  Will you take care of integrating both types, including indexing?  (My
> inability to use the original cidr type for an index was my original problem.)

If you mean adding to the catalogues I believe Bruce is dealing with that.
I will make a new cidr.c file which is basically the original one with
a few replacements for the new names.  Will you have the final inet_net_*
and inet_cidr_* functions in the tree shortly?

> > I just noticed that this wasn't copied to the list. I hope you don't
> > mind me copying this response there so that others can add their
> > opinions too.
>
> Actually I do mind, and had I been addressing the larger audience my note
> would have been a lot clearer.  But now that we've moved the discussion here
> I'm CC'ing the list on my response as well.  No harm done.

Oops.  Sorry about that.  I thought that you simply forgot to copy
the list.  Anyway, there are a few people with fingers in this
particular pie so it's probably just as well.  This is the hackers
list so I don't imagine many people found your message unclear.  I
certainly didn't.