Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?

От jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
> >    The speedup for the cursor/fetch scenario  is  so  impressive
> >    that  I'll  create  a  post 6.4 patch. I don't want it in 6.4
> >    because there is absolutely no query in the whole  regression
> >    test,  where  it  suppresses  the  sort  node.
>
> Good, then it works as expected ;)
>
> More seriously, it is not within powers of current regression test
> framework to test speed improvements (only the case where
> performance-wise bad implementation will actually crash the backend,
> as in the cnfify problem, but AFAIK we dont test for those now)
>
> >   So  we  have absolutely no check that it doesn't break anything.
>
> If it did pass the regression, then IMHO it did not break anything.

    Thats  the  point.  The  check  if  the sort node is required
    returns TRUE for  ALL  queries  of  the  regression.  So  the
    behaviour when it returns FALSE is absolutely not tested.

> I would vote for putting it in (maybe with a
> 'set fix_optimiser_stupidity on' safeguard to enable it). I see no
> reason to postpone it to 6.4.1 and force almost everybody to first
> patch their copy and then upgrade very soon.
>
> I would even go far enough to call it a bugfix, as it does not really
> introduce any new functionality only fixes some existing functionality
> so that much bigger databases can be actually used.

    I can't call it a bugfix because it is only a performance win
    in some situations. And I feel the risk is too  high  to  put
    untested  code  into  the  backend  at BETA2 time. The max we
    should do is to take this one  and  the  LIMIT  thing  (maybe
    implemented  as  I  suggested  lately),  and  put  out a Web-
    Performance-Release at the same time we release 6.4.

Jan