Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC on unix?

От leif@danmos.dk
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC on unix?
Дата
Staroffice? Was: [INTERFACES] ODBC on unix?  (Dirk Lutzebaeck <lutzeb@cs.tu-berlin.de>)
Список pgsql-interfaces
Hi Herouth,

> Can someone clear something up for me?
>
> I was under the impression that ODBC is entirely a Windows proprietary
> thing. But now that I am reviewing all sorts of RADs for the web, they all
> seem to insist that their Solaris versions (I use Solaris) can access all
> databases through ODBC.
>
> Does this mean that there's actually an ODBC mechanism/framework for unix?

    I have successfully downloaded and installed the unix pgodbc interface
by Sergey E. Levov. Have a look at http://users.ids.net/~bjepson/freeODBC
and ftp://ftp.informika.ru/pub/unix/db/postgres.

> The question that follows is - is PostgreSQL's ODBC driver, which, as I
> understand, is Win32 based - supposed to work in such an environment? Or is
> it too much to hope for?

    I don't know. Maybe someone else can answer this?

> It would enable me to use things like ColdFusion and LiveWire. Very useful.
> I hate reinventing the wheel, and Java-based Web-RADs don't seem to exist.
> Or am I wrong in this, too?

    Just to satisfy my curiosity: What are these two programs?

> Herouth

    Greetings,

                                             /
       _/                            _/_/   /  Leif Jensen (leif@danmos.dk)
    _/       _/   _/   _/        _/      / Linux 2.0.33, gcc 2.7.2, wxWin 1.66F