Re: [HACKERS] PL/pgSQL - for discussion (RETURN)

От jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PL/pgSQL - for discussion (RETURN)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andreas wrote:

> >        Returning from the function
> >
> >                RETURN <expr>;
> >
> >            The function terminates and the value of <expr>  will  be
> >            returned  to  the  upper executor.  The return value of a
> >            function cannot be undefined.  If control reaches the end
> >            of  the  toplevel block of the function without hitting a
> >            RETURN statement, a runtime error will occur.
>
> 1. I think we should allow functions/procedures, that don't have a return value.
>    (think about a proc that only does an update, why return anything except an error)
> 2. I think the RETURN will need a WITH RESUME, so a procedure can return more than one row.
>
> create dba procedure "dns".getusers()
> returning varchar(16), smallint;
> define gotuser varchar(16);
> define gotadmin smallint;
> execute procedure checkadmin();
> foreach select uname, admin into gotuser, gotadmin from passwd
>         return gotuser, gotadmin with resume;
> end foreach;
> end procedure;

    Yup.  Looks  nice.  But the executor neither supports sets of
    tuples nor single tuple to be returned from functions (except
    for  'sql'  language functions). I hacked around on that with
    the PL/Tcl and even if I return a heap tuple or a tuple table
    slot to the upper executor, it doesn't work :-(

Jan

Сообщение: RE: [HACKERS] Begin statement again
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Begin statement again