Re: [HACKERS] Lost a function overloading capability in v6.3

От jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Lost a function overloading capability in v6.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom wrote:

> >     The  bug  is  that  when  the  language  is  internal but the
> >     function isn't in the builtin table, fmgr_info() (in  fmgr.c)
> >     doesn't  set  fn_nargs.  So fmgr_c() calls abstime_datetime()
> >     without arguments.
> >
> >     Add
> >
> >     finfo->fn_nargs = procedureStruct->pronargs;
> >
> >     in the INTERNALlanguageId arm of the switch in  fmgr.c  (line
> >     198).
>
> THANKS JAN! I was just getting started doing a binary search of the source trees
> trying to find when the problem was introduced. This saved me a _lot_ of time...
>
> I just tried it and it works! I added the line just below the elog(ERROR) check
> in that same block of code.
>
> Now, should this be done conditionally or is it OK to set this all the time? I
> looked back at the v6.2.1 code and this field was not explicitly set in this
> area, so has the behavior of something else changed? What would you suggest??

    I  think  it's  O.K.  to set it all the time. As far as I can
    see, the declarations for  the  builtin  functions  have  the
    correct  nargs  settings (varcharin 3 args). And this is what
    they have in the pg_proc's  pronargs  attribute.  Adding  the
    above  line only touches overloading builtin functions. Since
    the call of such an overload goes through fmgr_c(),  it  MUST
    be done (fmgr_c must know how many arguments to pass).

Jan