Re: Windows Installation User account - Correct database for us

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: Windows Installation User account - Correct database for us
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> When the database is installed a postgreSQL user account is created
> which in most cases will be the second user account on the PC.

No, not any longer. This has changed with 9.1 or 9.2 (don't remember).
The Postgres service that is installed uses the "local network" account.

> The programmer working on this application has suggested looking at
> an imbedded database, something like H2 as an alternative.

If that is really a single user/application only database, an embedded database might actually be a better choice.

> I was hoping the members of this group may have some comments or
> suggestions as to the direction we should look at.

There is another option to not "install" Postgres at all.

You can just unzip the archives (from here: http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgbindownload)

During installation of your application, copy the Postgres binaries somewhere and then run initdb to initialize the
datadirectory.

Then whenever your application starts, just start Postgres "on demand" using "pg_ctl start".

You need to make sure the privileges on the data directory are defined correctly so that the postgres process can
accessthem.

If you have an installer for your application then it should be possible to include those steps, but it's quite easy to
writea batch file for that as well.

Regards
Thomas