Re: Tuning massive UPDATES and GROUP BY's?

От fork
Тема Re: Tuning massive UPDATES and GROUP BY's?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Merlin Moncure <mmoncure <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > I am loathe to create a new table from a select, since the indexes themselves
> > take a really long time to build.
>
> you are aware that updating the field for the entire table, especially
> if there is an index on it (or any field being updated), will cause
> all your indexes to be rebuilt anyways?  when you update a record, it
> gets a new position in the table, and a new index entry with that
> position.
> insert/select to temp, + truncate + insert/select back is
> usually going to be faster and will save you the reindex/cluster.
> otoh, if you have foreign keys it can be a headache.

Hmph.  I guess I will have to find a way to automate it, since there will be a
lot of times I want to do this.

> > As the title alludes, I will also be doing GROUP BY's on the data, and would
> > love to speed these up, mostly just for my own impatience...
>
> need to see the query here to see if you can make them go faster.

I guess I was hoping for a blog entry on general guidelines given a DB that is
really only for batch analysis versus transaction processing.  Like "put all
your temp tables on a different disk" or whatever.  I will post specifics later.