Re: One PostgreSQL server for multiple apps?

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: One PostgreSQL server for multiple apps?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Pandu Poluan wrote on 23.02.2014 16:37:
> I have been reading around, and it seems (CMIIW) that in PostgreSQL,
> a 'database' is similar to a SQL Server instance, while to create
> separate databases within an 'instance', I need to create 'schemas'.
>
> Am I reading this right?

I don't think so. "Databases" in SQL Server and Postgres are very similar.

The main difference is that in Postgres you can not do cross-database queries.

The schema concept inside a single database is more or less the same thing if we are talking about SQL Server 2008 and
later.

I'm not familiar with SQL Server's instance concept but I would consider a Postgres "instance" a separate data
directory("cluster") with it's own set of processes listening on it's own port.

> There is another question, is it possible to limit the resources used
> by separate instances/databases so that different apps don't start to
> step on each others' toes?

No, I don't think this is currently possible with Postgres