Re: intel vs amd benchmark for pg server

От dalgoda@ix.netcom.com (Mike Castle)
Тема Re: intel vs amd benchmark for pg server
Дата
Help Porting Pg Perl Module  (Jeff Post <postjeff@uwm.edu>)
Список pgsql-general
In article <20020426093655.A16995@amd.universe>,
 <pgsql-general-owner+M23830@postgresql.org> wrote:
>To my great surprise I have to conclude that intel is the winner.

Does the SIS mother board use VIA chip sets for the harddrive?

If so, that is probably your problem.

As pointed out, DB stuff is IO bound, not CPU.  On the other hand, a kernel
build is more CPU bound.

The VIA chip sets, more or less, suck.  See various posts by Andre Hedrick
for the Linux view point.  I'm betting you'll see similar analysis on the
*BSD sides, though I've never looked.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/