Re: databse version

От Philipp Kraus
Тема Re: databse version
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2013-06-11 00:42:59 +0200, John R Pierce said:

> On 6/10/2013 12:52 AM, Philipp Kraus wrote:
>> I'm creating a database and I have got a table with a "version" field.
>> Can I update on structure changes (DDL) like create / update table
>> increment this field automatically?
>> I would like to create a versionizing for my database which counts the changes.
>> IMHO I need a trigger, which is run if a DDL statement is fired on the database
>
> so if someone runs a script that does a half dozen create/alters, you
> want to bump your version that many times?
>
> we handle our version control by not allowing anyone to make direct
> changes, instead all changes need to be made with .sql scripts, of
> which we maintain two sets, one to create a new schema version x.y, and
> the other to update x.y-1 to x.y.   and yes, part of these scripts
> stores the version in a configuration table of (key,value) pairs, like
> ('version','x.y')

You're right. The database versionizing seems to be a problem, but I
would like run a automatism for versionizing eg the commit hash on git.
I have got a SQL script with the create calls
(alter will be create in the future). So our buildsystem get the head
of the git repo and builds the application, the database sql script is
also stored in the repo. In my case I would dump the database on the
developer server, check if the repo script and the dump script are
equal and if not, I increment the version number in dem dump script and
push it into the repo.

On the release process the version counting is depend on the prior

Phil