Re: Need help revoking access WHERE state = 'deleted'

От Mark Stosberg
Тема Re: Need help revoking access WHERE state = 'deleted'
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On 02/28/2013 01:02 PM, Ben Morrow wrote:
> Quoth mark@summersault.com (Mark Stosberg):
>>
>> We are working on a project to start storing some data as "soft deleted"
>> (WHERE state = 'deleted') instead of hard-deleting it.
>>
>> To make sure that we never accidentally expose the deleted rows through
>> the application, I had the idea to use a view and permissions for this
>> purpose.
>>
>> I thought I could revoke SELECT access to the "entities" table, but then
>> grant SELECT access to a view:
>>
>>   CREATE VIEW entities_not_deleted AS SELECT * FROM entities WHERE state
>> != 'deleted';
>>
>> We could then find/replace in the code to replace references to the
>> "entities" table with the "entities_not_deleted" table
>
> (If you wanted to you could instead rename the table, and use rules on
> the view to transform DELETE to UPDATE SET state = 'deleted' and copy
> across INSERT and UPDATE...)
>
>> However, this isn't working, I "permission denied" when trying to use
>> the view. (as the same user that has had their SELECT access removed to
>> the underlying table.)
>
> Works for me. Have you made an explicit GRANT on the view? Make sure
> you've read section 37.4 'Rules and Privileges' in the documentation,
> since it explains the ways in which this sort of information hiding is
> not ironclad.

Thanks for the response, Ben.

Here's a "screenshot" of our issue, showing that even an explicit grant
on the view doesn't fix things. This with 9.1.

# Revoke from the underlying table
db=> revoke select on entities from myuser;
REVOKE

# Try selecting through the view
db=> SELECT 1 FROM entities_not_deleted WHERE some_col = 'y';
ERROR:  permission denied for relation entities

# Explicitly grant access to the view.
db=> grant select on entities_not_deleted to myuser;
GRANT

# Try again to use the view. Still fails
db=> SELECT 1 FROM entities_not_deleted WHERE some_col = 'y';
ERROR:  permission denied for relation entities

###

I've also now read 37.4. That was helpful, but didn't lead to a
breakthrough for me.
   Mark

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Need help revoking access WHERE state = 'deleted'
Сообщение: Re: Need help revoking access WHERE state = 'deleted'