tablespace and backup

От Michelle Konzack
Тема tablespace and backup
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

for 4 weeks I have imported (text) data of 50 DVD's from a customer
into my PostgreSQL and now I have a very big problem...  The maintable
(called 'timeline' is around 350 GByte in size...
                                         ...and searching is the hell!

Since I try to redesign my Database since some time, I like to use for
each year ONE table using tablespace and would like to know what
happen with a backup and restoring it.

How does the restore know whewre to place, etc.

And, it is possibel to get a table (restoring), if, for example I have
only one Disk where the tablespace was created?

Or would it be better, to run several postmasters using one SCSI or
SATA (WD Raptor) HDD of 150 GByte for each Database?

Currently I am using a 3Ware 3w8500-12S with 2 x WD1500GD (OS,
Raid-1) and 8 HDD's using Raid-5 but I can switch to 4 x Raid-1 plus
(two "new" HDD's).  I do not like LVM because too negative experience.

Or would it generaly better to use 1U Server Racks with each one
Raid-1 of 150 GByte?  (Since the prices for 1U servers are falling
in germany)

My current server eat 2 x 4U for the Database, 4U for the Webserver
and 3 x 4U for the Binaries (1,8 TB of original documents of any
kind).

Those three servers plus a very big Sun machine are connected of a
CISCO to a SONET Dual STM-4 (since end march).  Maybe it is relevant.

Thanks
    Michelle Konzack

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi