От: Ivan Voras
Тема: Re: High load,
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

High load,  (Michael Kohl, )
 Re: High load,  (Cédric Villemain, )
  Re: High load,  (Michael Kohl, )
   Re: High load,  (Cédric Villemain, )
   Re: High load,  (Jignesh Shah, )
  Re: High load,  (Andres Freund, )
   Re: High load,  (Cédric Villemain, )
    Re: High load,  (Andres Freund, )
 Re: High load,  (Michael Kohl, )
 Re: High load,  (Justin Pitts, )
 Re: High load,  (Andy Colson, )
  Re: High load,  (Michael Kohl, )
   Re: High load,  (Scott Marlowe, )
    Re: High load,  (Michael Kohl, )
     Re: High load,  (Mladen Gogala, )
   Re: High load,  (Andy Colson, )
    Re: High load,  (Scott Marlowe, )
 Re: High load,  (Stephen Frost, )
  Re: High load,  (Scott Marlowe, )
   Re: High load,  (Andres Freund, )
 Re: High load,  ("Ing. Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda", )
 Re: High load,  (Ivan Voras, )
 Re: High load,  (Robert Haas, )
 Re: High load,  (Greg Smith, )

On 27/01/2011 11:31, Michael Kohl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we are running a fairly big Ruby on Rails application on Postgres 8.4.
> Our traffic grew quite a bit lately, and since then we are facing DB
> performance issues. System load occasionally explodes (around 170
> yesterday on a 16 core system), which seems to be caused by disk I/O
> (iowait in our Munin graphs goes up significantly during these
> periods). At other times the laod stays rather low under pretty much
> the same circumstances.

Is there any way you can moderate the number of total active connections
to the database to approximately match the number of (logical) CPU cores
on your system? I.e. some kind of connection pool or connection
limiting? This should help you in more ways than one (limit PG lock
contention, limit parallel disk IO).