Re: Moving from SQL Anywhere to PostGres - First Time

От Robert Paresi
Тема Re: Moving from SQL Anywhere to PostGres - First Time
Дата
Re: Moving from SQL Anywhere to PostGres - First Time
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

Price and features.   There are some changes in V12 which is causing us to
do some steps with our support and resellers.  We've always wanted to move
away from Sybase so we can make more of a profit off our software and lower
costs for us and our clients.  Sybase is a wonderful product, and when
things stay the same - we stay the same.   But, since V12 is requiring us to
make internal changes, step changes, documentation changes, training changes
... then it's a good time for us to stop and look at alternatives if we were
going to look at them anyway.

If we can save $100K a year moving to PostGres and give our customers better
pricing, then it only makes sense to move - if PostGres does the same thing
that Sybase does.

They are a premium software vendor and have a premium product, but charge a
premium price for it.   They've made huge changes that affect us, and won't
make any exceptions or changes for us, so now is the time to start looking
at our options.

-Robert

"Michael Gould"  wrote in message

Robert,

We used Data Manager from JP to do this.  Worked well.  He recently added
the ability to read OEM versions of ASA.  How's come your moving away from
SQL Anywhere?

Best Regards

Mike Gould

"Robert Paresi" <firstname@lastname.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have 700 user install base using Sybase SQL Anywhere 9.02
>
> We are looking at migrating these installations over to PostGres
>
> 1.  Very Very Short Answer Please - why should we?
>
> 2.  Does anyone have a utility or migration application to read SQL
Anywhere
> to go to PostGres
>
> 3.  Does PostGres handle column descriptions (ie: you can give each column
> 50 character description) and then access it via SQL Result Set (like I
can
> do in Sybase)
>
> 4.  Is there any Date/TimeStamp issues and conversions I need to know
about.
> I use simply a DATE field and a TIME field - but do not use DATE/TIME
stamp
> fields together.
>
> 5.  What UI/Developer tools (GUI) are available to manage the database as
> well as add/change columns rather than doing it via SQL commands.
>
> Thank  you.
>
> -Robert
>

> --

Michael Gould, Managing Partner