Re: Comparison of Oracle and PostgreSQL full text search

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: Comparison of Oracle and PostgreSQL full text search
Дата
Re: Comparison of Oracle and PostgreSQL full text search  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Howard Rogers, 28.07.2010 03:58:
> Thanks to some very helpful input here in earlier threads, I was
> finally able to pull together a working prototype Full Text Search
> 'engine' on PostgreSQL and compare it directly to the way the
> production Oracle Text works. The good news is that PostgreSQL is
> bloody fast! The slightly iffy news is that the boss is now moaning
> about possible training costs!

Why is it that managers always see short term savings but fail to see longterm expenses?

> For what it's worth, I wrote up the performance comparison here:
> http://diznix.com/dizwell/archives/153
>
> Maybe it will be of use to anyone else wondering if it's possible to
> do full text search and save a couple hundred thousand dollars whilst
> you're at it!

Very interesting reading.
Would you mind sharing the tables, index structures and search queries that you used (both for Oracle and Postgres)?

Regards
Thomas