Re: desktop heap usage in windows

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: desktop heap usage in windows
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 22:33, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> Heine Ferreira wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> In the latest release 8.4.3 is the desktop heap still a problem in
>> Windows?
>> I found some articles on the web that said on Windows xp the desktop heap
>> is rather small.
>> Apparantly under xp it's limited to 45 connections.
>
> what does the desktop heap (a GUI thing used to manage window handles) have
> to do with network connections?   do you perhaps mean the kernel paged and
> non-paged pools?
> Windows desktop versions (pro, home, etc) are intentionally limited with
> respect to how many network connections can be made as they are sold as
> workstations and not servers.   the biggest limit is on 'half open'
> connections, which impacts how many connections can be initiated at the same
> time.

No, there's a problem with the Desktop Heap getting exhausted because
of system DLLs that allocate from it whenever they are loaded into a
process. It's in the Windows FAQ on wiki.postgresql.org - IIRC it's
right at the bottom.

And yes, we still have the problem - it's a Windows problem, really,
not a PostgreSQL problem. It simply can't deal with many processes the
way the system DLLs are built. The exact limit varies between
installations - likely due to third party DLLs being loaded, like AV
and FW software.

It may be that this is actually not a problem with the 64-bit version
of 9.0. I haven't tried that - probably should.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/