Re: pg_dump and --inserts / --column-inserts

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: pg_dump and --inserts / --column-inserts
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote on 17.07.2010 19:35:
> Thomas Kellerer<spam_eater@gmx.net>  writes:
>> Tom Lane wrote on 17.07.2010 16:36:
>>> Well, nobody's offered any actual *numbers* here.
>
>> I measured the runtime as seen from the JDBC client and as reported by explain analyze (the last line reading "Total
runtime:")

> The "runtime" from explain analyze really should not be measurably
> different, since it doesn't include parse time or data transmission
> time, and you ought to get the same execution plan with or without the
> column names.

Interesting.

My intend _was_ to exclude data transmission from the test by using explain analyze, but I'm surprised that it doesn't
includethe parsing in the execution time reported from that.

> I'd dismiss those numbers as being within experimental
> error, except it seems odd that they all differ in the same direction.

And it's reproducable (at least on my computer). As I said I ran it 20 times (each run did it for 5,10,... columns) and
thevalues I posted were averages of those runs.

Regards
Thomas