Re: strangest thing happened

От Torsten Zühlsdorff
Тема Re: strangest thing happened
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Joe Conway schrieb:

>> I am the only developer, DBA etc.. for a small project.  Today (yesterday was
>> everything was perfect) many of the sequence numbers fell behind what is the
>> actual PK value.   For example the invoice PK sequence current value = 1056
>> but the table PK was 1071.  Nobody (other than myself) knows how to
>> edit/access the postgres server.  So
>>
>> 1. Does anyone know how this could have happened?????? Other than human
>> interaction.
>
> I've never heard of this happening. Are you certain nothing bypassed the
> sequence and directly inserted a PK value?

Maybe the sequence is defined with "cycle" and starts again? Very
unlikly, but a possibility.

Otherwise i would expect an bad backup/restore, direct insert of serials
or manipulated them afterwards (by insert, update or an function).

Gretings from Germany,
Torsten

--
http://www.dddbl.de - ein Datenbank-Layer, der die Arbeit mit 8
verschiedenen Datenbanksystemen abstrahiert,