Re: Best way to store case-insensitive data?

От Lew
Тема Re: Best way to store case-insensitive data?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Please don't top-post.

Mike Christensen wrote:
> Ah, I should probably upgrade to 8.4.  However, I'll probably just
> wait for 9.0 to come out.  So it seems like citext will be about the
> same as casting both sides to LOWER(), plus putting an index on the
> lowercase version of the text.  I'd probably use that if it were out
> of the box, but I'm trying to stay away from adding too many
> dependencies..  I think I'll stick with my original approach of only
> storing lowercase data in the DB, and perhaps put a CHECK constraint
> on there to ensure no upper case letters sneak in.

If your db contains international text there are some corner cases where
lower( upper( val )) != val or upper( lower( val )) != val.  Or there should
be, because that's what happens in certain languages.

For example, upper-case 'ß' should be 'SS' in German.  Lower-case 'SS' is 'ss'.

--
Lew