Re: Function that creates a custom table AND returns it = impossible in pg?

От Davor J.
Тема Re: Function that creates a custom table AND returns it = impossible in pg?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I am starting to see that this (and certainly my previous post about a
function as table-pointer) is impossible because of the pg planner. But
because the planner is required in every execution of a function, it puts
the constraint that a function cannot determine it's output by itself, but
must obey the one predefined, or (in case of SETOF RECORDS) known by the
initializer. The last, IMHO, is simply a bad workaround, not only because it
is "unmodular" (see infra), but also because it allows serieus coding
mistakes. (Suppose f() returns a table (men, women), and you redefine it in
your query to (women, men) and then put constrainsts on the men column: the
results would be untrue, and the bug hard to find.)

So because every function needs to have a predefined output, this constraint
severely limits the "PL" in pgSQL. In my own project, I wanted to write a
couple of fucntions with which the application would interact, instead of
writing sql in the application itself. pg apparently hardly makes this
possible.

I think there is a solution for this, which is implementing a keyword for a
more generic execution of a function that bypasses the planner and is
equivalent to SELECT * FROM f(). For example, EXECUTE FUNCTION
function_name()...

So... is there a grain of truth in all this?
Regards,
Davor

http://forums.devshed.com/postgresql-help-21/function-that-creates-a-custom-table-and-returns-it-impossible-675540.html