Re: plpgsql function to validate e-mail

От Lew
Тема Re: plpgsql function to validate e-mail
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com> writes:
>> My question: Anyone have a function to validate e-mails?
>
> Check the PG archives --- this has been discussed before.  IIRC you
> can't *really* validate them, short of actually sending mail.

And getting a reply.

> But there are partial solutions in the archives.

Even a valid email can be invalid.  I periodically receive emails meant for a
parent of a ten-year child who has signed up for a kids' site, but who
misspelled their parent's email address and put mine in by mistake.  I also
get emails meant for a contractor in New England whose email address is
similar to mine, but has a zero where mine has an "o" (letter "oh").  In both
cases the email address is valid in and of itself, but is not valid for the
purpose intended.

--
Lew