Re: Upgrading Database: need to dump and restore?

От Carlos Oliva
Тема Re: Upgrading Database: need to dump and restore?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
In which state do we need to put the db?  We can use both types of backup
strategy.  We can pg_dump the table and copy the tablespace folder along
with anyhting else that we may need.
""Grzegorz Jaskiewicz"" <gryzman@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Carlos Oliva <carlos@pbsinet.com> wrote:
> Thanks again Grzgorz for your expedicious reply. Would anything else
> change
> in the database for a table once it ceases to be updated? We have several
> tables for which a number of records is inserted and never again
> updated --
> data is never updated, deleted, or inserted again. We are moving these
> tables into their own tablespace and getting some kind of snapshot copy of
> these tables. We were thinking that we can restore them in the future
> without having to back them up several times.

Well, if you do pg_dump - that data will be there.
If you do copy of data directory, that isn't going to work, unless you
put db in proper state.
if you do that, you need to copy pg_xlog directory with it.

So you have to specify which backup strategy you are going to use.

--
GJ