Re: Upgrading Database: need to dump and restore?

От Carlos Oliva
Тема Re: Upgrading Database: need to dump and restore?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks again Grzgorz for your expedicious reply.  Would anything else change
in the database for a table once it ceases to be updated?  We have several
tables for which a number of records is inserted and never again updated --
data is never updated, deleted, or inserted again.  We are moving these
tables into their own tablespace and getting some kind of snapshot copy of
these tables.  We were thinking that we can restore them in the future
without having to back them up several times.
""Grzegorz Jaskiewicz"" <gryzman@gmail.com> wrote in message
pg_xlog and clog is something that is used during operation, and for
point in time recovery.
It doesn't go to database dump at all, not needed.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Carlos Oliva <carlos@pbsinet.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your response Grzegorx. It is helping us a great deal to
> understand the issues around backups. Would any of the pg_xlog, pg_clog,
> etc change for a table that has a stable structure and data? That is, the
> table undergoes several inserts and then it is never updated
> ""Grzegorz Jaskiewicz"" <gryzman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>> Woudl it be possible to keep the current postgresql version running in a
>>> different port, install a new version of postgresql, and copy the data
>>> from
>>> one version to the other while both versions are running? This might
>>> give
>>> us time to copy the tables and databases one at a time and reconfigure
>>> the
>>> database access for parts of the application until we complete the
>>> migration
>>> to the new version.
>>
>> Your best bet would be to install Slony-I. One of the main design goals
>> for Slony is to allow interruption-free upgrades.
>
> I don't think it is "easy", but will do if you need to synchronize
> data before switching.
>
> --
> GJ
>
> --