question about the design consideration for system catalogs

От Tao Ma
Тема question about the design consideration for system catalogs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Howdy,

I have a question about the design consideration for system catalogs.
Some of tables include arrays to hold the variable informations, such
as tracking the procedure declaration informations in pg_proc. To store
the informations for procedure parameters, there are proargtypes,
proallargtypes, proargmodes and proargnames colums.
Store the parameters in this way is much easier to access these
informations for backend developper. Each procedure informations can be
retrieved just in one query and store them in the Form_pg_proc structure
directly.
But if I wanna check the parameter informations, it's a little hard to
read. If I wanna write a program to re-construct the procedure source
code, it is not convenience to access the parameter informations from
the front-end. What cons are there If store the procedure and its
parameters in different tables(e.g. pg_attribute and pg_attrdef)? Access
two tables is slower than access one tables? It needs more code to
access the procedure informations?
I think store them separately is more common.

TIA