Installing PostgreSQL

От David Godin
Тема Installing PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

This is the output of initdb after a clean install of all the 6.5.1-2 RPMs
I downloaded from ftp.postgreSQL.org. To install them I did an "rpm -ivh post*".
I'm using RedHat 6 on x86 with 64 Meg Ram and 300 Meg of HD space left.

I used "initdb -l /usr/lib/pgsql -r /var/lib/pgsql/data -u postgres -d" to
initialyse the database (This is what they say in the manual).

Running with debug mode on.
initdb: using /usr/lib/pgsql/local1_template1.bki.source as input to create the template database.
initdb: using /usr/lib/pgsql/global1.bki.source as input to create the global classes.
initdb: using /usr/lib/pgsql/pg_hba.conf.sample as the host-based authentication control file.
We are initializing the database system with username postgres (uid=104).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.
Creating template database in /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/template1
Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/var/lib/pgsql/data -d template1
initdb: could not create template database
initdb: cleaning up by wiping out /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/template1

This is a "ls -al /var/lib/pgsql"
total 4
drwx------ 3 postgres postgres 1024 Sep 20 14:09 .
drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 1024 Sep 17 11:07 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35 Sep 1 00:55 odbcinst.ini

It's obvious i'm doing something wrong! Can someone help me?

David Godin