Re: Simple row serialization?

От Ivan Voras
Тема Re: Simple row serialization?
Дата
Re: Simple row serialization?  (Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>)
Re: Simple row serialization?  (tomas@tuxteam.de)
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Why not create the audit tables with composite types rather than strings?
>
>    create table audit_foo_table as (who text, when timestamptz, old foo,
> new foo);

Because this would lead to having a log/shadow/audit table for every
table I wish to log. (or is there an opaque "generic row" data type?
"record" and "any" generate syntax errors).

> Or you could use an hstore (see contrib).

Doesn't seem applicable.

> Or you could possibly use some of the XML support in 8.3 for serialization.

I need this for 8.1 :)

> This is a usage question, so it really doesn't belong on -hackers.

Thank you - I'm reading the list through gmane and I didn't notice its
name "gmane.comp.db.postgresql.devel.general" is incorrect. I'll find a
more suitable list.