Re: Experiences with extensibility

От Sim Zacks
Тема Re: Experiences with extensibility
Дата
Список pgsql-general
You wrote that either it is not implemented well (catastrophic data losss) or is
expensive (Oracle) or it is a monopoly (MSSQL). None of those are easy.
Expensive and monopoly don't seem to me to be non-easy, rather undesirable if
you don't need to get into it.

When someone asks a question about a feature found in a commercial product and
the answer is that the feature is not available unless you accept on yourself
horrid possibilities, that is similar to Microsoft saying that sure you can use
open source, but there is no support, it is unreliable, ... Pure FUD. You can
call it reverse FUD, but it is FUD nonetheless.

We use postgresql because it is open source, we have in-house experience to deal
with it so we don't have any extra support costs and we don't need the features
that are offered in commercial products that PostGreSQL does not have. We also
don't need the speed that commercial products offer that is missing in PostgreSQL.

Sim