Re: Connect to SQL Server via ODBC from Postgresql

От Sim Zacks
Тема Re: Connect to SQL Server via ODBC from Postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Another way of doing this, without dblink, is using an unsecured language
(plpython, for example) is to connect to the sql server using odbc and then
putting the data into your postgresql.

Sim

Afewtips.com wrote:
> On Jan 4, 10:08 am, "Afewtips.com" <afewt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am new to this product and don't quite know what can and cannot be
>> done.
>>
>> I need to submit queries to a SQL Server database and create a table
>> in Postgresql with the results from SQL Server.
>>
>> Normally I would do this with an ODBC driver into SQL Server, but I
>> don't see any references to doing that with Postgresql, only connect
>> to the Postgresql table from another database with ODBC.
>>
>> I do read mentions about dblink connections, but how to install it
>> looks unclear and complicated.
>>
>> (I didn't install the PostgreSQL source and it seems that it is needed
>> to install dblink. Does dblink have a standard application install?)
>>
>> I am running 8.2 - any help would be very appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I think I may have figured it out - so this may be useful to someone
> as well.
>
> I installed the enterprise server and it had everything installed and
> the syntax that I am using and works is:
>
> select * from dblink('hostaddr=000.00.00.00 port=1433 dbname=db
> user=username password=password',
> 'select fieldname from ext_database')
> as t1(fieldname text) ;
>
> The objective is to connect and submit a query from Postgresql into a
> SQL Server database and return the results.
>
> And from what I read, I can create a view from the above string and
> connect more easily with the view.

Сообщение: Re: Experiences with extensibility
Сообщение: Re: Experiences with extensibility