Re: Experiences with extensibility

От Sim Zacks
Тема Re: Experiences with extensibility
Дата
Re: Experiences with extensibility  (Clodoaldo <clodoaldo.pinto.neto@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
 > That isn't really an extensibility argument. At least not in my mind.
 > Further I don't know of anyone that can "easily" do it. You either
 > suffer the possibility of catastrophic data loss (dolphins) or you
 > suffer guaranteed bank account drainage (Oracle), or you suffer the
 > willingness of Monopolies (MSSQL).
 >
 > None of those equate to "easy".

That's a load of FUD. When looking at feature-sets that are available or not
available in an open source product, you can't throw out all the things that a
commercial, closed source project has because it isn't open source and it costs
money.

The reason companies go with the closed source, expensive solutions is because
they are better products.

When evaluating a database for your company, it is better to look at what the
closed source products offer that cause companies to shell out tons of money and
decide if it is worth locking yourself into an expensive and/or exclusive agreement.